quinta-feira, 22 de setembro de 2016

Racismo no Campus

Glenn Loury: "I see the conflict between the heavy hand of history that lies upon all of us. I didn't choose my parents, for example. If I didn't get read to or exposed to a wider vocabulary when my brain was forming, my linguistic acuity might be damaged forever — there's no undoing that. Neither can we undo the stigma of race that comes to us from the 18th and 19th centuries.
"We are conditioned by our environment and our genetic inheritance and our social context, and yet ...there's no possibility for morality unless we presume the possibility of agency. ... We have to assume that people, despite being socially conditioned, nevertheless exercise free will, albeit within constraints.
"Then it becomes a practical question whether single-parent families, in which 70 percent of African-American children live, is rightly thought of as a social phenomenon over which we have control if it's thought of as the inheritance of Jim Crow slavery and American racism. Are the structures of African-American social life the derivative consequences of the political and economic history of African Americans, or are they subject to being reshaped and reformed and remade in an image that we will for ourselves and our progeny? The latter is the stance I'm taking. The alternative is a bleak moral landscape for me." (Via Amy Scott Stitzinger)

Ver mais
Brown University's Glenn Loury: "We're arguing about labels, about what to call…
vox.com|Por Sean D. Illing

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário